Eagle English Ltd
The company is running workshops for early childhood and primary teachers, teacher aides and parents, in 2022-2023:
- Creative and fun teaching methods appeal to pupils, teachers and parents.
- Research-proven methodology means guaranteed better results.
Early childhood – setting a literacy blueprint through phonemic awareness
- Te Whāriki – Communication – Mana reo strand
- What is phonemic awareness?
- How does this advantage children in their early years?
- Alphabet letters and sounds – why it is so important for children to know the difference?
- Exploring alphabet sounds in a systematic, fun way, including writing.
- Encouraging letter-sound awareness through flash card presentation and games
- Stimulating early phonological awareness – what strategies can be used?
- Monitoring children’s progress through simple assessments.
- How parents and caregivers can reinforce phonemic awareness
- Conclusion – How does the above relate to Te Whāriki ?
(This course covers all alphabet sounds.)
Early primary – setting a reading foundation through structured literacy – Part 1
- What is structured literacy?
- Why is this so beneficial for all learners?
- Developing phonemic awareness – how can we make this fun?
- Developing phonological awareness – what multisensory strategies can be used?
- Encouraging letter-sound recognition through flash card presentation and games
- Encouraging letter-sound recognition through writing activities
- Blending of sounds(encoding) for early reading; and segmenting of sounds(decoding) for spelling skills.
- Building sequential word banks
- How parents and caregivers can reinforce structured literacy
(This course covers the 44 basic sounds of the English language. Parts 2 and 3 will cover the many alternative spellings of these sounds and silent letters.)
Intervention for Older Learners- using Structured Literacy to build reading confidence
- General overview – structured literacy – teaching strategies
- Science of Reading – research and findings
- Multi-sensory resources for older learners – actions, songs, flashcards, workbooks, videos
- Applying early reading strategies with a mature focus
- Diagnostic assessment of learner difficulties – general introduction
- Assessment tools – testing for knowledge of :
– basic 44 sounds – most common spellings
– alternative spellings of long vowels
– alternative spellings of short vowels, consonants and silent letters
- Using assessment results to plan intervention strategy and timeline
- Strategies for building learner self confidence
- Ongoing phonic checks/assessment
Workshops will be advertised in the Education Gazette in 2022-2023, starting in the Kapiti/Wellington area.
For expression of interest, please contact Margaret Corner at: firstname.lastname@example.org